Monday, October 19, 2015

Hassleback Garlic Cheesy Bread

Once the temperatures cool and the leaves begin to fall, most people gravitate towards soups and stews for cozying up and I am no different.  We’ve already had made soups an integral part of our menus now and the pleasant days ahead do demand more comfort foods.  Sometimes however, when afternoons turn warm and those vibrant fall leaves glisten in the sunlight, I crave a crisp autumn salad with some cheesy bread.

Sometime last year during blog-hopping, I came across these hassle back breads that I could not resist to try them out. The garlic flavor is so wonderful and I especially love the combination of it with butter and cheese.  I’ve been eating them after sprinkling them with some oregano for a more Italian flavor.  This version has become my favorite. You can toss up a quick green salad as a side and enjoy these breads. Sometimes I convert a readymade bread or baguette also into a hassle back cheesy version only to enjoy the flavors.

I was tempted to bake last weekend but I must admit that I still have not piled my refrigerator with the basic baking ingredients after my recent Haj trip only because I thought of saving this month's comfort food budget and living economically . But this is only for a while. When the new month knocks at us, I will be my usual self and will get back to my cooking habit. But then this recipe that I am posting today is from my drafts. Because I had made it at least twice before I left for my Haj break.

So its cheese and garlic again. Perfect for the autumn days and the aroma that it creates is divine. I keep wondering why people crib over cheese and call it rich in fat. Low fat cheese is widely available in most supermarkets and is a great substitute for the recipes that call for a wide varieties of cheese in them. And Garlic is a popular flavor now loved by everyone which produces a gourmet taste when combined with butter or Cheese. Most recipes these days call for garlic in them whether they are breads or pizzas or pasta or curries.

The recipe for Hassleback Garlic Cheesy Rolls is as below:


INGREDIENTS:

1 tsp Instant yeast 
1 tsp honey
1 teaspoon Salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
Olive Oil, for Greasing Surfaces
1 cup White Cheddar, Or Any Other Cheese You Prefer
½ cups Garlic Butter
 

HOW TO MAKE:

 
1) In a large bowl, stir yeast, honey salt and the flour. Add warm water and mix it to form the dough. Knead well till soft but not sticky. Keep aside for the dough to rise - around 1 hour or so until doubled in size.

2) Punch down dough and knead with some more oil and then cut into two equal portions.

3) Form into two long baguettes the length of the cookie sheet. Give it some twists so that it keeps its length and doesn’t shrink. Cover with plastic wrap and rise 30 minutes.

4) Start to preheat oven to 400 degrees F and  put the bread into the oven and bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.

5) In the meantime, slice the cheese into thin slices and melt the butter.

6) Pull loaves of bread out of the oven after 20 minutes and brush with the melted garlic butter. Bake another 5-7 minutes or until bread begins to turn a golden brown. Remove from oven and cool 15 minutes.

7) Cut 1-inch slices 3/4′s of the way through the loaves. Brush garlic butter in between each slice and fill with a slice of cheese.

8) Bake another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve HOT after sprinkling some herbs on the tops.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...