Monday, May 21, 2012

Vanilla cupcakes

My baking gloves sadly hung on the kitchen peg. It was quite a while since they'd moved from there. My previous baking disasters had brought them to this state.I watched them helplessly and wondered if I should give a try again to see if I can actually turn the tables. I absent mindedly walked to my book shelf and looked for a basic vanilla cake recipe that I'd tried earlier.

What can go wrong in trying out a basic cake recipe? When everyone can bake fabulous cakes,why cant I bake a basic one? Why cant I just try and try till I finally succeed to bake a good cake? I know its not difficult and I know I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I also know that I dont lose much even if I am not able to bake a great cake. These thoughts thronged my head for a while.

So I chose my recipe and followed it perfectly step by step. Used my whisk to beat all the ingredients well and in a little while I had some appetising aroma filling my house. I was delighted to notice that the cupcakes rose very well after 10 minutes and at the end of the baking time I could hardly see any cracked tops. Don't you think that they are actually made well?


This is the recipe I followed:

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

HOW TO MAKE:

1)  Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2)  Line a muffin pan with paper liners. If you do not have paper liners, just butter the muffin pan bowls so that the cakes can be easily removed after they are done.

3)  Sift all the dry ingredients together and keep aside.

4)  Beat eggs until fluffy.Add the milk and vanilla together and continue beating till the eggs double in volume and are very fluffly. Keep aside.

5)  In a mixer or with a whisk or with your hand, cream butter and sugar till sugar is dissolved and the mixture is creamy.

6)  Mix in the egg-milk mixture little by little to the butter mixture alternately with the dry ingredients. Mix this for another 5 minutes. If you are using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, you should do this step on low speed.


7) The cake batter is now ready. Pour it into the muffin pan/paper liners. Bake them for 15-20 minutes or just until a toothpick when inserted comes out dry. Do not overbake and make them dry.


8)  Once removed from the oven, cool them on a wire rack. If you wish to frost them, you can enjoy pretty looking cupcakes of lovely flavours. These measurements make 12 cupcakes.


RATING NOTES:

              DIFFICULTY LEVEL    :   EASY
              RATING  POINTS         :    8/10**

**  Dont overmix the batter. A good cake is onw which is airy, light, slightly crumbly but moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...