Sunday, May 13, 2012

Batata Puris (Potato flattened breads)

Scorching sun,dusty plains, blooming date palms and dwindling springs - Yes its officially the summer's impending presence.With temperatures touching 45 degrees along with high humidity levels there is no doubt that we are now almost a few weeks into the summer. Even though the effects of a grey sky lingered briefly in the last week but disappeared quickly in the last couple of days.




I spent a very non-chalant weekend this time. Thanks to the sultry weather. I never felt like planning any outings. To add some zest to my weekend, I decided to polish my culinary skills and bring in more sparks to my growing fad. I explored my cook books and bookmarked a few recipes for which I did not have to make a trip to the grocery stores, then gathered the ingredients and set to undertake my chores.

So here I am with a wonderful treat for all potato lovers who are not counting calories.This is a no-fuss light meal/breakfast recipe for some crispy,puffed flatbreads - we call them puris. Mashed potatoes combined with flour for a heavy dough which is flattened and deep fried to perfection.The crunchiness of these puris and their flavour adds color to your table. It pairs greatly with some spicy tomato pickle.


INGREDIENTS:

4 cups maida
2 small boiled potatoes
1 tsp chopped coriander leaves
crushed green chillies
1/2 tbsp cumin powder
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp ghee
salt to taste
Oil to deep fry

HOW TO MAKE:

1) Boil, peel and mash potatoes to a smooth paste.



2) Add the rest of the ingredients to this and mix well to form a well kneaded dough.

3)  Set aside for 45 minutes.

4)  Roll into small flattened bread /puris and deep fry in hot oil till light golden.

5)  Serve hot with a curry or a tomato pickle.


RATING NOTES: 
              DIFFICULTY LEVEL    :   EASY
              RATING  POINTS         :    9/10**


**  Mash the potatoes until very smooth and without any lumps. Or else the puris will not form well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...