Sunday, November 23, 2014

Rogan Gosh

I despise clutter. And thank god for that because it's probably the only reason I like being organized and clean. Everything gets tucked away into its own little spot. Anything lying out of place lands itself into a cupboard, drawer, or closet so it's out of sight. I spend most of my free time organizing closets and keeping things neat and clean. Even my office desk is arranged and rearranged several times while I work on it. Same is with my email box or computer for unwanted emails or files saved on it.

I believe that with a cluttered place around, it is really very hard to de-stress yourself or concentrate on something. I've always had a tendency towards having minimum things around me. I am always culling down my possessions to what I view as essentials and try envisaging its usefulness in the near future. If I fail to see it as something useful, it lands into the trash without second thoughts.

That is exactly what I am doing these days - de-cluttering my cluttered drafts section of my blog account. This means, I am posting a mixture of recently tried out recipes as well as the ones tried several days/months  back also. Today's recipe is also belongs to one of these categories. I had tried this long back, but did not post it.
 
Now lets come to the recipe of the day - A fine delicacy called the Rogan Gosh which captures the signature flavors of authentic Kashmiri cuisine. A fragrant blend of Indian spices and rich coconut milk makes your house smell amazing while it cooks. So Plug In. Turn On. Chill Out. The end result is worth the effort and it is the master of all flavors.
 
Can a terrific party cook-out really be complete without a proper curried lamb dish like this? Fiery, delicious, comforting and rich .... It is an ideal comfort food and won't have to go alone.
 
  
                
 

INGREDIENTS:
 
1/2 kg Mutton cut into pieces of your choice.(preferably medium sized)
 ¼ cup vegetable oil and melted unsalted butter, combined
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
4 green cardamoms, crushed
1 medium onions chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
1/2 cup yogurt, beaten
Salt to taste
1 cup water
 
To Grind:
1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
8-10 almonds
2 cardamoms
¼ tsp peppercorns
4 cloves
1/4 tsp mace
1 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
 
Dry roast the above ingredients in a pan on low heat till light golden and grind them together with the following ingredients to make a paste:
 
3 whole dry red chilies
4 garlic flakes
10 gms ginger
generous pinch nutmeg, grated
 
HOW TO MAKE:

1) Heat oil and butter mixture pressure cooker. Add in bay leaves, cinnamon and green cardamom.
 
2)  Add onions and fry till golden brown. Add the ground masala paste, tomato, turmeric and chili powder and cook for 2-3 minutes.

3) Add in yogurt and cook till the oil separates, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt, and then add the mutton and fry till the meat is slightly browned. Add some water at this stage.

4) Close the cooker and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...