Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Orange- Almond pound cake

The month of August is here now and we have the most special birthdays looking down on us. My toddler who turns two on the 26th and hubby on the 18th. So a lot of planning is needed now to make these days joyous for them. And food is sure to play a big time role in this.

My oven has a lot to do now. And my shortlisted cake recipes will get a chance for sure. To be honest, its been more than a month since I baked a cake. So I thought of doing a practice session for myself so that I make no mistakes on the celebration days.

I  had a few oranges at home and converting them into a tea cake was the coolest idea for the day. A loaf cake was something interesting to imagine because it made use of my newly purchased loaf tin. A few almonds to enhance the flavor. The results were fantastic and something worth raving. A light, fluffy, moist and a moreish cake sat on my kitchen counter in an hour's time. The insides had an orange colored tinge and almond flakes greeted your taste buds in every bite. Not to forget the citrusy flavor of the orange zest that was generously used in the cake. The cake had a light golden crust that gave the cake a very spongy texture. The top layer of the cake was draped with almond flakes giving it an irresistibly incredible look. Oh, and I forgot to mention how easy the whole task was. You can never go wrong anywhere after weighing the ingredients rightly.

I found this recipe somewhere on the internet during blog hopping. I was instantly charmed by the whole idea of combining oranges and almonds. Its been in my to-do list since ages. And I am so glad that I tried it. Because now I can confidently go about the celebrations. After all, merry making becomes more merrier when everything is commendable.

This is a pound cake. So the ratio of flour, sugar, butter and eggs stands at 1:1:1:1.  Pound cakes are usually made in loaf tins.

The recipe goes like this.

INGREDIENTS:

190g unsalted butter, plus a tablespoon extra for greasing the pan
190g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tbsp finely grated orange zest
190g  sugar
3 large eggs
60g ground almonds or almond powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp plain yoghurt
1 full tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp orange essence (optional)
A handful of flaked almonds
 
HOW TO MAKE:
 
1) Preheat the electric /convection oven to 190 degrees Celsius.  2) Butter a loaf pan and keep it ready. 3) Cream together the butter, orange zest, sugar until soft and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and beat well until creamy. Use an electric whisk preferably for this process. 4)  In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.  5) Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Just fold them in. No need to beat them. Fold them until well mixed. 6) Add the yogurt and the vanilla essence and mix well. Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top of the batter. 7) Pour the batter in the buttered loaf pan. 8)  Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the sponge is firm on top and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...