Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Tomato Oats soup

The temperatures here have been hovering in the high 40's. It’s terribly warm,but you won’t hear any complaints from me today. 

Despite the blistering sun outside, its always chilling indoors - thanks to the Air Conditioners working ceaselessly. So life continues as normal and this warm bowl of soup that I am going to talk about today should lift your spirits and make you feel light.

As it happens, I found a variety of soup sachets on sale during these warm days. Warm days and soup sachets equals a warm bowl of soup? I know I am sounding cheesy, but yes,we are always looking for fresh ideas on how to live healthy and how to stick on to home cooked meals and this bowl of soup has the best of the ingredients going inside that have an amazing nutritional value.

Once I bought the soup sachets,I kept thinking on the different varieties I can use them so that they would taste great, but I just didn’t feel that ambitious. So instead, I came up with a less ambitious & easy project that generated a delicious, and probably healthier alternative – Tomato & Oats Soup.

I was elated when I found this recipe for homemade . Believe it or not, this recipe is probably one of the simplest soup recipes you will ever find. And luckily I had some Oats in my pantry shelf. So what could stop me from making this bowl of warm soup? A piping hot bowl of this delicious soup is what that made my day.

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups hot water
2 medium tomatoes
1 sachet soup (Use any flavour)
1/3 cup oats
1 tbsp butter
2-3 crushed garlic flakes
1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
Salt to taste
Any seasoning for taste
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 onion finely chopped/sliced

Garnishing:

Grated mozarella/cheddar cheese



HOW TO MAKE:

1) Heat 2 cups water in a vessel. When the water comes to boil, drop in the 2 tomatoes. Switch off stove and cover the vessel for 10-15 minutes. The tomatoes skin can be peeled off easily now.

2) Puree the tomatoes without their skin and keep aside.

3) Heat the butter in a pan, add the crushed garlic and the onion and saute till they are light golden color.

4) Add the tomato puree and the tomato paste and allow to cook for 2 minutes.


5) Then add the oats and cook for another 2 minutes so that the oasts soften.

6) Add 1/2 of the soup sachet and stir well so that no lumps are formed.



7)  Now add the pepper crushed, seasonings, salt and cook till thick (about a minutes or so).

8) Sprinkle some lemon juice and serve it piping hot with some grated cheese if you want.


RATING NOTES:

              DIFFICULTY LEVEL    :   Easy
              RATING  POINTS         :    9/10**

** Use any soup flavour. All render a great taste.


** If you want to add some vegetables/chicken pieces to this soup, you can add them in step 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...