Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Shahi Biryani

And I huffed and Puffed to reach this post - the 200th post and something that really needs a small bit of celebration. I know I am way too far off from comparing myself to real, enthusiastic bloggers who make it a point to post regularly. But still, I have managed to hold on to my blog which has become quite close to me over the years.

I have always used this space as something in which I can pour my heart out, store my memories, my kitchen adventures and the various recipes that I have tried. And believe me, it really is fun sometimes to flip over the pages and go through all that is been noted in the past. And I do visit my own page very often to check out my recipes when I want to re-try them.

Overall, the blogosphere is a much-appreciated web of companionship and being a creator of this pioneer project is a wonderful feeling. From luscious dessert indulgence to luxurious savories, I love to cook most of the times to get into the festive mood. And I generally love trying out easy recipes, which are effortlessly prepared, thus taking the stress out of cooking things in the classic version. 

 And writing has always been in my blood. I really like to write, I wish I had kept a diary of my life. But I have never tried all this. I donno why !!! Sometimes I'm an introvert through and through. I'm shy, awkward, bad at getting to know people, and would rather stay in my bubble and listen to conversations than actively add to them. It's something I've been slowly attempting to work on as I get older. So writing something in this space, even though I badly want to write, becomes tough and this causes delays in posts.

I had a few slump times in the past and had not blogged for ages. But have kind of hopped over them and now the trend just seemed to have changed for me. I hope to continue this way for as long as I can.

As a small celebration, I have brought in something that shouts royalty all the way. In truth, no party can get completed without a Biryani.

This is a traditional dum style biryani with layers of saffron rice and creamy mutton. If you eye-ball the ingredients, this looks like a marathon recipe. But the method is terribly simple and gets cooked faster than any other Biryani type. An absolute pleaser at dinner parties!

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 kg mutton-cut into small pieces

1 cup onions-finely sliced

Ghee for frying the onions

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 bay leaf

1/4 cup clotted cream

2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves-to garnish

For the marinade:

1 cup onions-grated

1 tsp garlic paste

1 tsp ginger paste

1 tsp turmeric

1 tsp black cumin seeds
 
Salt to taste

1 cup yoghurt

1 tsp garam masala

For the rice:

2 cups basmati rice soaked in water

2 green cardamoms

2 cloves

1/2 tsp black cumin seeds a piece of cinnamon-broken into smaller pieces

Salt to taste

1/2 tsp saffron-soaked in 1/4 cup of warm milk

2 Tbsp ghee/clarified butter.
 
 
HOW TO MAKE:
 
Mix together all the spices and marinate the meat in it for 4 hours

1) Heat Ghee in a large dish. Fry the onions till brown and crisp. Strain onions from the ghee and transfer on to an absorbent paper and set aside.

2) In 1/2 cup of the ghee that is left in the pan, add the cumin seeds and bay leaf, stir a few times till they change color a little and keeping the heat high, add in the meat mixture.

3) Stir-fry meat over high heat till the pieces look opaque. Lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring a few times till the meat is tender. Saute till the water dries up and fat separates.

4) Add water and cook further, in case meat has not cooked through.

5) If meat cooks through before the water dries up, uncover the pan, and let water evaporate over high heat. Remove pan from stove and add the fried onions, cream and coriander leaves and mix well. While the meat is cooking, drain the rice and set aside.

6) Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee and add the black cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Stir a few times and add the rice and the salt. Now add 2 1/2 cups of water, and bring to boil.

7) Lower heat, cover and let the rice cook for 8 minutes. Shut off heat, leaving pan on stove. The rice should be almost done.

8) Half an hour before serving, divide the rice and meat into halves each. Take half the meat out of the pan, leaving one layer at the bottom. Spread this layer well in the pan.

9) Now cover this with a layer of half the rice, sprinkle half the saffron flavoured milk over it, and then add the second layer of meat and finally the other half of the rice. Sprinkle the rest of the milk and saffron mixture over rice.

10) Seal pan with wheat flour and place on a griddle over low flame for half an hour. Alternatively, arrange in an ovenproof dish and place in a pre-heated oven for about half an hour.

11) Serve in the same dish or mix gently and transfer on to a serving dish.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...