Friday, November 30, 2012

Pound Cake



As I sat admiring the endless supply of effulgent sunshine across the warm, crystal clear waters of the Arabian Sea, I could'nt help but feel overwhelmed at the enchanting scenes ahead of me. The sun-kissed beach of Hasik at the South of Oman offered paradisiachal shores with its unspoiled landscapes and uninhabited rocks spread in the middle of the sea. The heat was wicked but the howling winds were divine.

Home to a string of spectacular mountains and cliffs, Hasik is a small town in the Wilayat of Sadah at the south of Oman. Our visit to Hasik was on the second day of our 4 day trip to the Dhofar province and Salalah during the Khareef season in July-August. Hasik boasted of a unique natural shaped harbour and ancient coastal settlements. In this town where passion is a part of life, time seems to have stood still for centuries. The place looks remote and infinite. Driving on this endless stretch of road finally leads you to the Arabian Sea coast where only the enduring turquoise colored sea waters are visible. A sight worth beholding. The pictures below are splendid and they should say the rest.













Anyways,my efforts with baking have continued. Amidst my frenetic days, I have decided to revive my newfound passion . I have been wary of this and now have started cooking away to glory. I do not know when I am going to fizzle out this enthusism,but I hope that this latest string of successes will prove to be the catalyst to keep me going everytime. So my latest attempt at the Pound Cake was quite good and it was the classic version that I tried.

A word of warning - Do not overmix the batter. Because of the butter going in, the cake will anyways turn out to be soft and fluffy.


INGREDIENTS:

2 large eggs room temperature
2 tablespoons milk, room temperature
1 teaspoons vanilla essense
1 1/4 cups  sifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup  sugar
170 grams unsalted butter, room temperature

HOW TO MAKE:

1) In a bowl, beat eggs,milk and the vanilla essence together  until eggs are fluffy. Keep this aside.

2) Sift together the flour,baking powder. Add the sugar to this and mix.

3) Add the butter and half of the egg mixture to this and beat it till the sugar is dissolved. Add the remaining egg mixture and beat the cake mix for another 5 minutes.

4) Line a baking tray with parchment paper and butter the base and the sides. Pour the prepared cake batter into this.

5) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake the cake in it for 50-55 minutes or till light brown color.




6) Cool it on the wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...