Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cupcake Disaster



12 poor little light brownish cupcakes topped with pink icing sitting unpretty on a tray !!!

What went wrong with them? Why do they look sad in their pale and tiny paper covers?


Yes, disasters do happen in my kitchen. And I sit with a low morale soon after I find out about a failed attempt. But this time, I have made up my mind to re-try it all over again.


My story goes on like this :

 During the Hols, I decided to give a shot at baking. The Cupcake experiment was pending since long. So I decided to try them in the hols. I had never made cupcakes before. So I tried this with just 4 eggs.

I had purchased a muffin tray a couple of months back itself. I also bought a new cake decorator.




I browsed for a few good recipes and shortlisted one of them. I learnt about the new frostings/icings and finally selected one for my try. Everything looked easy and interesting. I was still debating if I should try the chocolate ones or vanilla. Finally I settled for Vanilla cupcakes with strawberry flavoured butter cream icing.



I was unhappy with the results. When the cupcakes started getting baked, they looked good in the oven for the first 10 minutes. They doomed also and then started to crack . At the end of baking time, I noticed that they had cracked a lot on the top surface. The top surface obtained a nice browinish shade. I inserted a pick into one of the cupcakes to see it come out clean. So I left them for cooling.



After a while I noticed that the cracks had reduced and the cupcakes looked shrinked slightly. When I tried to taste one of them, the inner portion had a raw taste and seemed undercooked.

Nevertheless, I went on to prepare the icing which tasted quite fine. Atleast there was something for me to cheer for.




I've been trying to troubleshoot. I have been wondering if its excess baking powder or excess oven temperature that caused this disaster. But they tasted fine. Not delicious. Thanks to the icing.

I think I may try them again with another recipe. I am sure I can do it better this time. I had made 12 cupcakes and I just ate the last one while I wrote this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...