Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Banana Cake

It was a long and a refreshing weekend this time with a public holiday yesterday. I am still lurking on in the holiday hangover and have not yet come to terms that my working week has started. Thursday evening looked so lovely with the thought of 3 long days for all the fun and family time. The outdoor evening time is generally what we look forward to.

 Nothing significant happened in the last few days nor did the kitchen get busy even though I forced myself to line up a few holiday meals and even bought some of the ingredients. Baking was something that I was able to do and a few bananas asking for attention got what they deserved. I was eyeing banana cake or banana bread from quite a while and the former got the nod. I also wanted to whip up a dessert, but it somehow did not happen.

Now I am posting the recipe for this lovely banana cake that was made in less than 30 minutes. The cake works best with ripened bananas. I froze a couple of bananas so that they don't get spoilt. I also used some coarsely processed nuts (pistachios, almonds cashews). The cake turned out decadent - sweet, moist, fluffy and soft. I wanted to do a cream cheese frosting on it but failed on it. It was gobbled up within an hour of being baked. I used a loaf pan to bake my cake.

The recipe for this delicious cake is as below:

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cups sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
3/4 teaspoon baking soda (add to pureed bananas)
2 pureed bananas, very ripe


Cream Cheese Frosting:

1/2 stick butter, softened
4 tbsp cream cheese, softened
1-2 cups powdered sugar (1 lb.)
2 teaspoons vanilla essence


HOW TO MAKE:

1)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a loaf baking pan or a 9"  round baking pan.

2) Cream butter, sugar and eggs till smooth and fluffy.

3)  Sift flour with the salt and baking powder and then add this to the creamed butter mixture. Add the milk and flour (alternating, beginning and ending with flour).

4)  Add vanilla and mashed bananas (with the baking soda added to the bananas) to this mixture.

5) Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes.

Frosting Directions:

Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth, add sugar and vanilla and blend well. Spread on cooled cake.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...