Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sausage and Vegetable Fried Rice

One of my favorite aspects of cooking is the improvisation and when I have fresh simple ingredients on hand, I am always putting a different twist on the classics.  I love to have my own herb garden, but space is a major constraint. And it's hard to keep up with the herbs sometimes, we are only two  people after all. 

So, this week I was faced with the realization that I needed to shop fresh groceries every weekend and use them wisely. I don't want to end up wasting my shopped greens. What better way to use them and make a light and fresh summer meal than a vegetable fried rice? 

And the stir-fry process is my weakness. I love the aroma it produces and the sausages used alongside was the major kick factor for this dish which raised it to higher levels.

My "Sausage & Vegetable Fried Rice" really hit the spot and helped me use the greens before they were wilted.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
1 cup Sausage sliced to thin rounds
1/2 tsp Pepper powder
1 tsp Crushed chilly flakes
3/4 cup Mushroom chopped
1/2 cup Green beans sliced diagonally
1/4 cup Frozen green pea or fresh peas
1 tbsp Soy sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
Salt – To taste
1-2 tbsp Olive oil
1-2 tbsp each Cilantro and spring onion to garnish

HOW TO MAKE:

1) Cook rice until long and slightly soft. Set aside to cool.
 
2) Heat olive oil in a pan and add the sausage pieces and 1/2 tsp pepper powder. Stir-fry until they are no longer pink.

3) Add mushrooms. Stir-fry for about 1 minute.

4) Add chilly flakes and green beans. Stir-fry for about 1 minute. The veggies should not be over-cooked, they should retain their crunch. 

5) Add green peas and stir-fry for 1 minute. Mix well. 

6) Add soy sauce, mix well and then add cooked rice. Taste-check for salt. 

7) Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle little sugar. Mix well.

8) Garnish with chopped cilantro and spring onion.

9) Serve hot as is or with ketchup.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...