Thursday, May 28, 2015

Poha

Its the evening of the most exciting day of the week - Thursday and although I've been working the whole of this week  I have also been spending a couple of hours every evening giving my room a good clean and sort out, I always forget how much more motivated it makes me feel.

I've not made any secret of my deep love for Candy Crush. Off late, I have been hooked to Candy Crush and I have been spending hours playing it. Whenever I find myself having even a few minutes of free time, I start playing it. Admittedly it isn't exactly being in a competition, but I love it.

Today I am posting the recently tried out breakfast dish called  seasoned Poha . Are you giving me side-eye right now? I’m pretty sure I know what you’re thinking. Not everyone likes eating poha as it is kind of bland. But some extra seasoning really works and upgrades its tastes to new levels.

I have been regularly reading about the benefits of Poha (flattened or beaten Rice) since a long time. Poha is nothing but rice in the form of flakes which swell when a liquid is added to it. It is very light on the stomach and is an amazing source of iron and carbs with low gluten levels. I just kind of tried it after reading these benefits and I am sure I will include it in my regular menu list. I did not realize how easy it is to make and it hardly takes ten minutes. Poha is easily available in all supermarkets and is popular in India.

Now the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

1.5 cups poha - white beaten rice or flattened rice

1 large onion, finely chopped

¼ tsp turmeric powder

1 tsp mustard seeds

2  tbsp peanuts

10-12 curry leaves

1 green chilli,chopped

1 or 1.5 tbsp oil

Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves
1 tsp lemon juice

HOW TO MAKE:
 
1)  Rinse the poha in water, drain the water from it and keep it aside.
 
2) Add some turmeric powder to the poha and gently mix.
 
3) Dry roast the peanuts in a pan till they become crunchy. Remove them and keep aside.
 
4) Heat oil in the same pan. Crackle the mustard seeds first.
 
5) Add onions, curry leaves & green chilies and saute them for a minute.
 
6) Add the peanuts and continue to stir. Add the poha and salt at this stage and mix gently.
 
7) Cover and steam the poha for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
 
8) Switch off flame and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and lemon juice.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...